Effective Email Communication
communication is often an overlooked business skill, when you think
fact that over 80% of our communication is now done over email; it pays
good at this skill.
communication, effective email communication is not hard to learn and
require any exceptional skills or knowledge, keep in mind this guide to
professional emails and you should have no trouble.
1. Personalize your emails
– address the person by
name versus dear recipient.
2. Use the correct construction for
they should have:
a. A subject line
b. A greeting
c. A header
d. The body
e. The closing
f. A signature
3. Spell check, Spell check, Spell check.
4. Your subject line should communicate the crux
the email in 35 – 50 characters. Many emails are
deleted on account of poor
5. Do not use ‘hi’ as a subject line, this is
automatically sent to SPAM by your email provider.
6. Use high importance only when it is indeed
7. Be careful when using the TO | CC | BCC fields.
8. Remember to attach the files you want to send,
many emails are often resent because the sender forgot to attach the
9. Never write an email in anger, wait till you
calmer, else you will always regret it.
10. Backgrounds: Keep backgrounds plain white and
necessary with only the company letterhead/logo (the background color
not be distracting).
11. Font: Choose from one of the following three
styles, Arial, Times New Roman and Verdana. Size: The best font size
human eye is 10 – 12. As with pens, stick to blue and black for font
12. Always left align your emails.
13. Sentences should be short and crisp. Try to use
bullets, or numbered lists when describing a process or listing
14. Use adequate spacing between paragraphs to make
it easier to read.
15. The first line of your email should describe
what it is about.
16. The last line of your email should specify any
action you want the reader to take.
17. Remember to include all your important contact
details in your signature.
18. Avoid emoticons as these are viewed as
19. Do not use Bold, Underline or Italics unless
want to highlight something in the body of the email.
20. Avoid all capitals it is the equivalent of
SHOUTING on an email.
Keeping these 20 tips in
mind, you should be on your way to writing crisp, professional and
emails. Effective email communication is an art and like all arts it
takes time and
become a true master.
of Bussiness Communication
Subscribe today for
our newsletter, Management
and gain immediate access to our Big Book of Team
from Effective Email Communication to Importance of